A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Friday, December 02, 2005

Checkmate for Chess players (and Go is certainly too slow)

Henceforth the Medley Center Mall in Irondequoit, New York is no refuge for chess players.

The new proprietors of the Medley Center mall have decided that people shouldn't be cluttering up the food court playing chess and card games. Apparently the chess players, most of whom are adults and who have been playing at the mall for years, took up too many tables, brought in their own food and were too loud. These rook-wielding rowdies were deemed to be incongruous to owner Adam Bersin's "vision" for the mall.

"I really feel we've gotten jilted,'' 70-year-old retired salesman Ray Licata said in resignation (chess pun alert!).

Their checkered past has somehow caught up with them (snort)....

They are pawns in the hands of commerce (hahaha!).

(Ahem. I'm finished now.)

They will be allowed to play when the mall is open to walkers, from 8 to 10 am.

After eating food court food only when I am forced by possible loss of consciousness (see my previous posts on teacher fridges and cafeteria food), I think these apparently ki-yiping eggheads were probably doing everyone a favor.

4 Comments:

At 12/3/05, 9:59 AM, Blogger Fred said...

I wish you kept going with the jokes. Very funny!

 
At 12/3/05, 11:34 AM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

Hey, I play chess too! That mall should be boycotted! They should be happy people visit them on a regular basis. If the food court is truely that busy, get more tables. ROWDY? Oh yeah, I forgot about my loud victory dance (since copied by several NFL players who perform it whenever they sack a QB or score a TD) that I do whenever I kill an opponents pawn. Sheesh!

Maybe those retired chess players could move to elementry schools and mentor the kids in chess. They say chess helps kids academically, because it helps them observe, analyze and think about a situation.

 
At 12/3/05, 2:36 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

What a great idea! I restarted the chess club at my school, and now we've got a Go club too. I am awful at both, but I enjoy them.

And Fred, you'll note that I wrote that before 6 am. Two jokes is all I got at that time. But thanks for the appreciation!

 
At 12/3/05, 10:11 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Just imagine if you wrote this at 6:00 p.m.!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics