A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fun with numbers (that you use to buy gas, food, gas, clothing, gas, shelter….)

Let me take you for a ride on my monetary mood swing, in which the author tries to alternately amuse you and depress you. Fasten the seat belts, and keep both hands on your calculator at all times.

According to the NEA, average teacher salaries rose 2.4 percent in the last year, to $47,808.

Apparently, there is no word on what above-average teachers earned (smirk), but no matter what, it wasn’t what we deserved (snicker).

For more fun. according to the National Association of Elementary School Principals, the average high school principal earned $86,938 (up 0.9% from 2003-04), the average middle school principal earned $81,514 (up 1.8% from 2003-04), and the average elementary school principal earned $76,144 (up 1.3% from 2003-04).

Average high school assistant principals earned 71,404 (up 1.3% from 2003-04), average middle school APs earned $67,600 (up 1.8% from 2003-04), and average elementary school APs earned $63,140 (up 1.5% from 2003-04).

I have no knowledge of the salary of Assistant Principal Plea Bargain, who repeatedly ignored my requests for help as I single-handedly tried to keep an impending rugby scrum from breaking out (not to mention giving a kid a therapy session instead of consequences when he walked out of my room cursing), but it’s definitely NOT what AP PB is worth, either.

Ahem. Unfortunately, inflation rose 3.1 percent.

Well, now I feel better.

7 Comments:

At 12/7/05, 12:52 AM, Blogger EdWonk said...

Around our district in California's "Imperial" Valley, teacher's haven't had a pay raise in four years. Administrators, on the other hand, recieved a 5.25% pay hike last year and 4.0% this year.

They know that due to compensation based upon district seniority, teachers are pretty much shackled to their jobs after about 5 years.

So it's not like we can quit and go to another district.

 
At 12/7/05, 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12/8/05, 12:21 PM, Blogger Lone Pony said...

This is my second year teaching. It's the most money I've ever made in my life. (On my own.)

I told a neighbor how excited I was to be making that much money.

When I told him how much "that much money" was...he laughed at me.

 
At 12/8/05, 3:18 PM, Blogger Fred said...

It takes teachers 19 years here to break to 40k range. Isn't that sickening?

 
At 12/9/05, 9:39 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

Low Teacher Pay.....is it part of the secret cabal that is working to make America a Third World Country ???? They DID get their boy elected president twice now..... :-)

 
At 12/10/05, 2:11 PM, Blogger Mike in Texas said...

I don't know anyone who makes 46K a year teaching, unless they are an administrator or curriculum person

 
At 12/10/05, 8:58 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Actually, some people in my district make that...

Of course, in this area a three bedroom house in a decent school district will run you $400 K-- and that's a fixer-upper with 40 year old wiring, which is why I live in East Jesus...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics