A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ennui+ Malaise+ Grumpiness= Mad Pedagogue. Beware.

I don't know about you, but I am gritting my teeth right now at school. It feels like the winter will never end. It feels like the whining will never end. It feels like this shiny zit on my nose will never go away, and I'm over forty, so now I may have to go see if it is a staph infection, like I got last year after I broke up the Hellacious Brawl in the Hall all by myself. It feels like I'm the only person in the school enforcing the ID policy or the dress code or the tardy policy, not to mention the headphone policy. I actually had a write up a referral-- my first real referral all year-- on a little twerp who lipped off to me and refused to comply three times when I ASKED her nicely to put on her ID properly, in a pleasant tone of voice, mind you-- and I still haven't gotten the referral back yet, which means AP Plea Bargain is at it again.

It would help if I could see a film with a HAPPY ending, but the only thing out right now like that is Chicken Little. Honestly, Hollywood, we get it that life is short, and then you die-- but we go to the movies to amuse ourselves sometimes, too, and for people over thirty, that DOESN'T mean scaring the crap out of ourselves. Something lighthearted, a little romance, hopefully featuring this guy









or this guy
PLEASE?










Then a nice but slacker kid in my Ac Lab told me all the ways to get around the firewall at school. Thanks! By the way, do you think I'm on YOUR side? No way, so off goes the email to the District Computer Diva....

Anyone else with the Midwinter Jitters?

4 Comments:

At 3/5/06, 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DS, the computer nerd, today told me that kids at school are accessing myspace.com during school hours with a cover site, called 'covermyass'. Like this won't set off alarms downtown! Well, it hasn't yet says he. Where do you think your mother is going to be working next year darling?? Oops.

I'm watching the academy awards. I haven't seen any of the movies. I have no life!

 
At 3/6/06, 3:32 PM, Blogger graycie said...

The computer lab ate all my kids' essays. All my pencils were stolen and a nasty little chewed up nub was left -- as if I wouldn't notice the difference. Does that kid think I'm that stupid? Four kids (out of 22) passed The Big Odyssey Test. Four. Little Miss I'm-Gonna-Do-What-I-Want won't stay after school to make up being tardy because she has to get home to her baby. I have three more sets of Big Tests to grade (complete with discussion question -- there's a laugh) and five sets of descriptive writing pieces. An advanced class lacked the maturity to discuss issues that teens face in our culture. They just thought each one was something to snicker at. Today's BellWriter was to tell "two things that keep you out of trouble." Several kids had no idea what I was talking about -- and after I explained, said they didn't know. It's gray and dark and raw outside. When I get home, I have to clean the bathroom.

I'm with you, sister.

 
At 3/6/06, 6:50 PM, Blogger Laura(southernxyl) said...

We rented the 1956 version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and watched it Saturday. It was somewhat cathartic. The end wasn't quite as grim as the 1978 one with Donald Sutherland, but it was grim enough.

I'd rather rent the old movies than watch some of the stuff that's out in the theaters. Plus, I'm more comfortable sitting on my couch, and we can pause the movie if I have to go to the bathroom.

 
At 3/7/06, 5:36 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Yeah did anyone else watch the Academy Awards and notice how they were begging people to go see movies in the theatres instead of waiting for them to come out on DVD? Several different times they talked about how the only way to do justice to an epic was to watch it on a big screen, blah blah blah...
First, it's often NOT a big screen. It's a tiny screen in these megaplexes, compared to what I watched as a kid.

Second, I can pause the movie and go to the loo at home without missing any og the movie I just paid $10 to see, not counting the....

Third, snacks which are horribly overpriced. I mean, $4 for a little corn syrup, caramel coloring and a LOT of ice?? $6 for a nickel's worth of popcorn? Who do they think they're kidding?

Fourth, a floor sticky with residue? Now I can-- and do-- get that at home, but at least I know where the stickiness comes from.

And on another front, a kid with some problems said her mom wanted to know if she could take home the test she owed me from THREE WEEKS ago, and her mom (who last week agreed that the kid would get the damn thing done yesterday afterschool but then the kid didn't show) would monitor her while she took it, because she didn't want to miss a fun afterschool activity.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? Oh, now THERE'S a precedent I wanna set. I can see it now. Every time there's a test, 50 kids take it home and promise not to cheat under the honor system when the other day they talked about how copying answers was no big deal as long as you don't get caught.


GRRRRR. $#@!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics