A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, April 17, 2006

Movie Madness Monday: April Showers Edition

Monday. Spring. April. Quite right! Movie Madness Monday time!

What's that, you say? Each Monday I will pick a movie and sprinkle in a few of my favorite quotes. You then stop your damn lurking and contribute a quote of your own, from the same movie, if possible. I will not tell you the name of the movie until Wednesday. Now, you could cheat and type the quotes into a search engine, but that would be no fun.

“Let us go forth and conjugate!”

“So, uhhhm. Maybe we could just skulk around here for a bit and then go back down?”
“Now that’s a thought. I don’t usually skulk a lot, but I suppose I could skulk if skulking were required. Do you skulk regularly?”

“Repeat after me: ‘I, Bernard… Delaney—‘”
“I, Bernard Delaney-“
“Do take Lydia Jane Hibbett-“
“Do take Lydia Jane Hibbett-“
“To be my awful wedded wife.”
“To be my LAWFUL wedded wife.”
“That’s right. That’s right!”

“Do you think there really are people who can just go up and say, ‘Hi, babe. Name's Charles. This is your lucky night?’”
“Well, if there are, they're not English.”

“I always just hoped that, that I'd meet some nice friendly girl, like the look of her, hope the look of me didn't make her physically sick, then pop the question and, um, settle down and be happy. It worked for my parents. Well, apart from the divorce and all that.”

“In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spigot.”

“I really feel, uuhh, in short, to recap it slightly in a clearer version,--uuuh, the words of David Cassidy in fact, eh, while he was still with the Partridge family, ehhhm, "I think I love you."

****Tuesday Update: Yes, this post now comes with a soundtrack, and all thanks to fellow Okie ramblin' educat. See, when you pick quality material, you get quality feedback. And educat combines two of my favorite things here: this film, and the ever-lovin' struggle over the school dress code. It's like peanut butter and chocolate! Go listen!

*****Wednesday Update: Duckface, the movie is

Four Weddings and a Funeral!

Now, HOW could you turn down Hugh Grant, Andie MacDowell, and all the rest of the merry gang? So let us all raise a toast and say:

"To true love- so we can say, in our dotage, "I, too have been adored."

17 Comments:

At 4/17/06, 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It is dangerous! You know, there's nothing more off-putting in a wedding than a priest with an enormous erection, yech! "

 
At 4/17/06, 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>Now, you could cheat and type the quotes into a search engine, but that would be no fun.
<<

HA!
Guess what?!
Nothing is showing up!!
Google has let me down!

Not fair, Ms. C, not fair!!
:-)

 
At 4/17/06, 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last quote makes it too easy. I actually was stumped until I reached it!

"How do you do? My name is Charles."
"Don't be ridiculous! Charles died 20 years ago!"
"Must be a different Charles."
"Are you telling me I don't know my own brother?!"


I can't say my REAL favorite quote from the movie. While it's too profane, it represents my mornings most days.

 
At 4/17/06, 4:00 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

algrad, you are right. That is disgusting!

Dear k,
Does the bog have a DVD player or a VCR? We MUST improve your film education!

And I did this on purpose. On Wednesday, you can bloody well come back and find out the movie, unless Polski names it early again, which he ususally does in violation of the rules, without leaving a quote-- hear me?

Mellowout, would that be
"F#@$!"

or perhaps
"Bu%%er!"-- which most Americans do not recognize for the obscenity it is, or perhaps

"F#@$- F#@$-F#@$ity-F#@$-F#@$-F#@$!!!!?"

because they're all good.

kary, is the holy goat also the holy spigot?

 
At 4/17/06, 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bog has a dvd, we are a
very advanced Bog!
What else is there to do when you
are up to your neck in slimy
green water?

 
At 4/17/06, 6:14 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Watch movies and listen to your iFrog-- I mean iPod?

 
At 4/17/06, 7:01 PM, Blogger 100 Farmers said...

Is it raining, I didn't notice.

OK, I love this movie but that line had to one of the worst deliveries by an actor EVER.

 
At 4/17/06, 8:17 PM, Blogger educat said...

Where, my dear, do you think I came up with "Read-ity read read read"?

You have hit a favorite.

"It's bloody Brigadoon!"

I also recently re wrote the song from the opening credits to reflect my feelings about co workers who don't follow the dress code. I could go on and on..

 
At 4/17/06, 10:03 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

tree_story, that rain scene was badly delivered by Andie-- but I did like the lightningbolt when they agree to live in sin.

Educat, you have now made that quote, already one of my VERY favorites, even more of a special treasure. Now I need to hear the song. I MUST!

"Where's Gareth?"
"Torturing Americans."
"How nice of him!"

 
At 4/17/06, 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bridge or groom?"
"It should be perfectly obvious I am neither!"

 
At 4/18/06, 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. C,

I've been known to say both. (Lived with Brits and Aussies in my college dorm.) It just depends on if I stub my toe in the rush. Then it's the first one all the way and really loud.

 
At 4/18/06, 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Kristen Scott Thomas' character in this is my dream wife - witty, sarcastic, desperate. Her delivery in this particular exchange is awesome (I had to look up the exact wording):

"Are you married?"

"No."

"Are you a lesbian?"

"Good lord! What makes you ask that?"

"Well, it is one of the possibilites for unmarried girls nowadays, and it's rather more interesting than saying, 'Oh dear, never met the right chap.'"

"Quite right. Why be dull?"

"Thank you."

"... I was a lesbian once at school, but only for about fifteen minutes."

 
At 4/18/06, 8:39 PM, Blogger educat said...

Ms. C and gang, my movie inspired song is on my blog now.

I just sang for the entire internet. Run now and affirm me, I am fragile.

 
At 4/18/06, 9:32 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

One of my favorite movies of all time, and I LOVE the snarky quotations. However, let's not forget this one: ". . . I thought that love would last forever. . . . I was wrong."

 
At 4/18/06, 10:53 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Oh, yes! Singing!

Mamacita, the entire poem is just wonderful, and will be outed later in its own post.

 
At 4/19/06, 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie is one of my favorites of Hugh Grant. The other quote from the movie was "Duckface!"

Have you seen "About a Boy"?

 
At 4/19/06, 4:54 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

You know, that's one I need to see. Ah, a project for the weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics