A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, April 24, 2006

Movie Madness Monday: the DVD

Yes, it's Monday-- again, and time for Movie Madness Monday. Here's the deal: Each Monday I pick a movie and sprinkle in a few of my favorite, or cleanest, quotes. You then stop your damn lurking and contribute a quote of your own, from the same movie, if possible. I will not tell you the name of the movie until Wednesday. Now, you could cheat and type the quotes into a search engine, but that would be no fun. And that means you, k.


"What was he the patron saint of?"
"Quality footwear."

"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."

"Do you have any artificial plates or limbs?"
"Errrr, not exactly."

"Money talks and bullshit walks."

"They're not gonna release the album... because they have decided that the cover is sexist."
"Well, so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy? I mean there's no... "
"Sex-IST!"
"IST!"

****Wednesday Update: Rock on, lads! We honor the music of
the loudest band in England, SPINAL TAP! Those merry lads who started out folkie singing that we should all "Listen to the Flower People," and then discovered that all they wanted to do was ROCK!






See? Eleven is louder than ten, when you want to "kick it up a notch."





They also soon discovered that Keith Moon wasn't the only drummer who would rather burn out than fade away, as they went through a series of drummer deaths caused by bizarre gardening accidents or choking on vomit-- that probably wasn't his own-- or my favorite, spontaneous human combustion.

Albums include the controversially sexist "Sniff the Glove," "The Sun Never Sweats," and "Intravenus de Milo." All worth a listen! They last reunited in 2001, so let's hope the boys are broke enough by now to give it another go!

11 Comments:

At 4/24/06, 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

k has changed her name to Mrs. Bog in an attempt to disguise her nefarious dealings with the search engine...

That said, I have reviewed the quotes and will wait to see other quotes and try to determine the movie that way.

The quality shoes quote makes me think this is a chick flick. Something I usually try to avoid at all costs!

 
At 4/24/06, 8:21 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

This goes to eleven.

I know what it is, I know what it is!!!!!!!!!

 
At 4/24/06, 9:13 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"And eleven is one more than ten, ih'nt it?"

This is SOOOO not a chick flick. It's about as much a chick flick as the Three Stooges are urbane intellectual humor.

 
At 4/25/06, 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it's not a "chick flick" but I think it's hysterical. A classic! ...Stonehenge...

 
At 4/25/06, 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to this every week now. You have great taste in movies, Ms. C!

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not widely reported."

 
At 4/25/06, 5:40 PM, Blogger 100 Farmers said...

I am very bummed. You stumped me here. I love Christopher Guest though. I am unworthy.

 
At 4/25/06, 7:12 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Thanks, Mellow! And treestory, he is a genius!

"Hello. My name is Marty DiBergi. I'm a film maker. I make a lot of commercials. That little dog that chases the covered wagon underneath the sink? That was mine. In 1966, I went down to Greenwich Village, New York City to a rock club called the Electric Banana. Don't look for it, it's not there anymore. But that night I heard a band that for me redefined the word "rock and roll". I remember being knocked out by their exuberance, their raw power -- and their punctuality."

 
At 4/25/06, 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We've got armadillos in our trousers ... it's really quite frightening."

... it also bears mentioning that I used to have a copy of "Break Like the Wind" on cassette that a schoolmate made for me. ;-p

 
At 4/26/06, 8:32 AM, Blogger r said...

Oh my gosh, one of my all time top 10 movies! I remember seeing it in the Fairview theatre so many years ago.

"Well, it wasn't his own vomit he drowned in... "

 
At 4/27/06, 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, ha!
I've been meaning to watch that movie. Having a punk rock band live in my basement for three years, I think I can relate.

One of my favorite moments ~ I went downstairs to do the laundry while they were playing. While moving clothes to the dryer the song ended and the lead guitarist spoke up, 'What's that song about anyway?'
The vocalist answered, 'It's about sex.'
Long pause. Then the drummer spoke up, 'Geez, all our songs about sex...'
At that moment I had to practically gag myself with the laundry to keep from laughing out loud.
They are all in college now and I miss them :-)

 
At 4/27/06, 10:09 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Yes, you must see this one. Anyone who's ever held a guitar or a stick in their hands can relate.

You were so brave to have the punk band in your basement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics