A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, July 10, 2006

Movie Madness Monday: v. 21

Okay, then! Here comes this week's Movie Madness Monday, in which I kid myself that I am NOT as nerdy as some quiz says I am (still stung by that one, yep).

So here's how to play: I provide quotes from a movie. You provide a quote of your own from the movie-- in the comments section. The movie's name is then revealed on Wednesday. It's simple! It's fun! And, it's inevitable, because here it comes!

"Uh-oh! Sounds like somebody's got a case of the 'Mondays!'"

"He's my boss! He's my unholy, disgusting, pig of a boss!"
"He's not that disgusting!"
"He represents all that is soulless and wrong!"

"So you're making a lot of money..."
"Right."
"... that's not yours..."
"Well, it becomes ours."
"And how is that not stealing?"

"I was told I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from 9 to 11...."

"The thing is, Bob-- it's not that I'm lazy. It's that I just don't care."

"When I saw that fat man keel over and die... --Michael, we don't have a lot of time on this Earth! We weren't meant to spend it this way! Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles and stare at computer screens-- filling out useless forms and listening to eight diferent bosses drone on about mission statements!"

"Yes, but I'm not going to do anything illegal!"
"Illegal? This is America!!!"

"Excuse me? Uh, I believe you have my stapler?"

****Wednesday Update: Welcome to the world of

Mike Judge's brilliant Office Space! Even though teachers don't work in cubicles, so much of this rings true-- the misbegotten printer you want to smash into bits, the territoriality of coworkers, the bosses who don't listen, the demands that eat up your personal time, and on and on....

"And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire..."

This one truly is a new classic for the Working World. And thanks for playing!

15 Comments:

At 7/10/06, 1:12 AM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

You know, minimum security prison is no picnic. I had a client in there once. He said the trick is: kick someone's ass the first day, or become somebody's bitch. Then everything will be alright.

(When I quit my previous teaching job, I took my stapler with me. It was symbolic of. . . . I dunno, something.)

 
At 7/10/06, 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I don't like talking about my flair."

"I don't like my job, and, uh, I don't think I'm going to go anymore...I don't like paying bills. I don't think I'm going to do that anymore, either."

"I could set the building on fire."

Ah, memories. This was the second movie my husband took me to when we first started dating. Actually, we both thought it was just okay on the first viewing, but for some reason it grew on both of us and evolved into an all-time, quotable fav.

 
At 7/10/06, 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew the movie, mostly from the stapler line. You know they sell that stapler online? Anyway...I couldn't quote a line from it, so I had to go all IMDb to find the moment I loved:

"It's a "Jump to Conclusions mat". You see, you have this mat, with different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO."
"That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom."
"Yes, this is horrible, this idea."

I want that mat!

 
At 7/10/06, 8:40 AM, Blogger La Maestra said...

So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

Hubby and I use this quote all.the.time. Said in the fakey voice and everything.

But I really am as nerdy as my nerd test said I was. This is a good thing though, because I work in a school where it is not good at all to be geeky, and I've helped some kids (a whole class, this past year!) express their inner geek, and it was a beautiful thing, I tell ya.

:-)

 
At 7/10/06, 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked for a mai tai, and they brought me a pina colada, and I said no salt, NO salt on the margarita, but it had salt on it, big grains of salt, floating in the glass.

 
At 7/10/06, 11:50 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"I could put strychnine in the guacamole.... There were big grains of salt...."

 
At 7/10/06, 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know they didn't even make that stapler in real life before the movie came out? I originally thought it was just an old model they brought back because of the movie, but I guess the company never actually had a red one like that.

"'PC Load Letter?' What the *bleep* does that mean?!"

 
At 7/10/06, 3:07 PM, Blogger Sam said...

"There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys."

 
At 7/10/06, 3:22 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"Maybe you should change your name."
"No way! Why should I change-- he's the one who sucks!"

 
At 7/10/06, 7:34 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

What would you do with a million dollars?
Two girls at the same time.

And who doesn't love "Damn it feels good to be a gangster..."

My buddy told me last year that they don't make red Swingline staplers, so he bought a maroon one and spray-painted it red. What a geek...

 
At 7/10/06, 8:21 PM, Blogger Sam said...

"And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire..."

ThinkGeek has the stapler, and IF I get a classroom this year, I will be purchasing one (and, following Ms. Cornelius's excellent advice, outlining its place of honor on my work table).

 
At 7/11/06, 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... And lucky for us, Mike Judge's new movie, "Idiocracy" is coming out ... well, really soon. (He's got a lot to live up to, with this movie and "Beavis and Butt-head," an old high school fav of mine.) ;-)

 
At 7/11/06, 9:23 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I have my own stapler, too, that I paid for with my own money. It's a verycool blue. And if anyone touches it, they're toast!

"Didn't you get that memo?"

"Oooohhh, yeeeeeaaaaahhh..... I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Bob...."

 
At 7/11/06, 4:43 PM, Blogger 100 Farmers said...

Several of us at school wear lots of flair on our lanyards as sort of a homage to this movie and a silent protest against our administration. Brilliant.

 
At 7/14/06, 1:14 AM, Blogger Duez said...

As someone that worked in the corporate world for 6 years, Office Space is right on the money. Amazing how great that movie is. You have inspired me to pull it out of my bookshelf and watch it tomorrow! :)

The opening scene just makes me laugh like crazy when white dude is rapping hard core. Makes me think of how I am with some of my black students, faking that I am "down". Silly, but fun. They always chuckle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics