A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, August 14, 2006

Movie Madness Monday 26: Summer's lease hath all too short a date

Well it's Monday, which means it's time for Movie Madness Monday, the movie quote trivia game, and I was thinking: Some people get to go out of town during their break, and go to exotic places like the Caribbean (Mr. Lawrence) or Disney World (NYC Educator) or Oregon (Ms. Teacher) or Babylon (Mike in Texas said he was going to Sumer) or Massachusetts (Ramblin' Educat), which the BeeGees loved so much they even sang about it. Me? I got a puppy.

So how better to celebrate (?) the fact that I will begin to press my nose to the grindstone today than a little bit of Movie Madnes Monday? What would Mondays be without it?

So here's how we play: I post a few juicy quotes from a movie. You respond with a quote of your own from the same movie WITHOUT revealing the name of the movie, so everyone get a chance to play. On Wednesday, I reveal the name of the movie and usually some more trivia about it.

Simple, right? Then let's go!


“I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Shit!”

“Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun.”

“Oh, Ellen, the old west was dirty. Everything isn't like home. If everything were like home, there would be no reason for leaving home.”

“I'm going steady, and I French kiss.”
“So? Everybody does that.”
“Yeah, but Daddy says I'm the best at it.”

“I think I broke my nose.”
“I stabbed my brain.”
“I just got my period.”

“You were the one's who sent me the fruit cake for Christmas. It made me so sick.”
“Oh, I'm sorry. We thought you enjoyed fruit cake.”
“You enjoy throwing up every five minutes, Claude?”

“You know, if I wasn't in uniform, I'd split your skull with the butt of this revolver, faster than you could say ‘police brutality.’”

Have fun!

***Thursday Update: This week's ironic choice is

National Lampoon's Vacation!

Chevy Chase! Beverly D'Angelo! Dennis Quaid! And some blonde chick.... who was that woman?




Oh yeah, Christie Brinkley, which anyone would agree is a goddess.



Thanks for playing! Come back next week-- if I survive my first week of school....

13 Comments:

At 8/14/06, 9:05 AM, Blogger anonymous educator said...

"You left his dead mother tied to a lawn chair in his backyard. I'm sure he'll understand."

 
At 8/14/06, 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Have you ever driven your whole family cross-country?"
"Oh, hell yes. Once I drove them all to Florida. The smell coming out of the back seat was terrible."
"I know that smell, Roy. But what if you had driven all that way and Florida was closed?"
"Closed? Uh, they don't close Florida."

"Has your father ever killed anyone?"
"Just a dog...Oh, and my Aunt Edna."
"You can't prove that, Russ."

 
At 8/14/06, 9:40 AM, Blogger La Maestra said...

I'm not going to attempt the movies, but the title is from Shakespeare's "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" sonnet.

;-)

 
At 8/14/06, 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mom, my sandwich is all wet."
"They're all wet... Oh God!... The dog wet on the picnic basket."

 
At 8/14/06, 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This line hits home ... particularly because my Father is petrified of flying:

"Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun. You know that."

A 25-hour-straight rush to Miami Beach is NOT FUN. Enjoy your puppy! (What's its name?)

 
At 8/14/06, 2:22 PM, Blogger Tawcan said...

Stumbled onto this site, just thought I would say hi.

 
At 8/14/06, 5:42 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

ACK ! anonymouse educator got it posted before I got a chance too.....


DIdn't this flick also contain the line something like:

"OK kids, theres the Grand Canyon! Take a good look. OK, times up, time to go!"

THIS was a great movie !

 
At 8/14/06, 6:15 PM, Blogger EHT said...

Three weeks in a row....I'm on a roll.

"I got laid off when they closed the asbestos factory, and wouldn't you know it, the army cuts my pension because they said the plate in my head isn't big enough."

 
At 8/15/06, 9:40 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"This is no longer a vacation!" This is a quest! A quest for fun!!"

 
At 8/16/06, 5:30 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

"I don't know why they call it Hamburger Helper...It does just fine on its own."

We watch the Christmas sequel every single year--it's still a classic.

 
At 8/16/06, 9:41 PM, Blogger Mike in Texas said...

"It could lodge under the skin and cause a really nasty infection"

 
At 8/16/06, 11:14 PM, Blogger Ms. Q said...

Something about a "dead person breathed on me"

Love these movies. I, too, watch the Christmas movie every year.

 
At 8/17/06, 6:48 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"This is crazy, this is crazy, this is crazy!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics