A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Can someone please explain the basics of Go?

My hope is that, over Thanksgiving break, I can begin to start trying to learn Go, the board game.

Polski, anyone? I just don't get how you decide where to put the piece for the most advantageous start.

Is there a good website that explains the strategy? I've got this new Go board, and I bet I've got a kid who would learn to play with me.

Thanks!

3 Comments:

At 11/22/06, 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you know the rules and that's it. Correct?

The best piece of advice I can give you is play in the small board (9x9) until you are confortable. Do no let any real player make you play in the bigger one. It is stressing and frustrating until you have started developing your own intuition for the game. If you have somebody to learn with, that is great. Keep playing with him for a while as you both discover the game on your own. That is the best way to start.

Go is a very difficult game. You have to keep paying attention to lots of things during a long time and one single, small mistake will cost your life. And if you play with a real player, she will humiliate you even if she is not trying to. I am a mathematician and I love all kinds of board and combinatorial games. Unfortunately, learning go was accompanied by some traumatic experiences. I wish you best luck.

 
At 11/22/06, 5:32 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Oh, great. Maybe I should just stick to Sudoku.

 
At 11/23/06, 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should take my advice with a grain of salt. My learning process for go may have been traumatic because of the aggresiveness of the person who taught me.

My main point is that go has a step learning curve. It is, indeed, a fascinating game with simple rules and plenty of possibilities. However, I only starting enjoying it after a while (unlike, say, chess, amazons, mahjong, settlers, or tarot, all games I enjoyed from the very beginning).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics