A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, December 18, 2006

Movie Madness Monday 44: God Only Knows Where I'd Be Without You edition

Time for Movie Madness Monday again, and I almost did a Peter Boyle film, but that would be too obvious-- plus in my favorite one, he only had three lines that weren't grunts.

Here's how we play my little weekly game: I give you some quotes from a movie, and you respond in the comments section with a quote from the same movie. We DO NOT spill the name of the movie until Thursday, so everyone gets a chance to play while they're having their time taken up wrapping presents or standing in line at the mall.

So here we go again!

"We've been given our parts in the nativity play. And I'm the lobster!"

"Sometimes things are so transparency, they don't need evidential proof."

"But wouldn't it be great if number one this Christmas wasn't some smug teenager but an old ex-heroin addict searching for a comeback at any price?"

"Oh for the love of God, say yes, you skinny moron!"

"What is this we're listening to?"
"Joni Mitchell."
"I can't believe you still listen to Joni Mitchell."
"I love her. And true love lasts a lifetime. Joni Mitchell is the woman who taught your cold English wife how to feel."
"Did she? Oh well that's good. I must write to her some time and say thanks."

"We may be a small country-- but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that."

***Thursday Update: What can keep you from feeling blue during the holiday season?

LOVE, ACTUALLY.

A fabulous ensemble cast including the incomparable Bill Nighy (AKA Davy Jones in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean flick) --seen doing a fabulously arch Robert Palmer take-off here-- and Hugh Grant (yummy!), my favorite female actor Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Liam Neeson, Rowan Atkinson, Laura Linney, and yes, Keira Knightley, who is an absolute babe, according to Mr. Lawrence. Not to mention a cameo by Claudia Schiffer, speaking of babeness. Filled with love and laughs, you definitely need to see this one. I've probably watched it thirty or forty times.

Join Mamacita and me round the TV. I'll bring the popcorn.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 12/18/06, 11:01 AM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!!

"Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free."

 
At 12/18/06, 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Actually.

I loved the rock star.

-- Joanne Jacobs

 
At 12/18/06, 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, GOD! For as fanatic a movie-watcher as I am, I have NO idea what this film is! I'll check back on Thursday to find out.

I'd have totally nailed the Peter Boyle movie, though. "PUTTIN' ON DA REEEETZ!!!" Gets me EVERY time!

 
At 12/18/06, 5:44 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Joanne! You DON'T name the movie! You just give us a quote!!!!!

"You're going to sell me to a complete stranger?"
"Sell? Who said 'sell'? I'll pay him!"

 
At 12/18/06, 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Jacobs' giving it away is almost as bad as me repeating a quote. 'D'oh' to us both!

Here's one no one posted yet:
"Get a grip. People hate sissies. No one's ever going to shag you if you cry all the time."

Also, Keira Knightley is my Movie Star Dream Bride.

 
At 12/18/06, 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh...just Jump. Never have The Pointer Sisters been made so palatable.

 
At 12/18/06, 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely no idea, but I did what I always do and searched. Yup, never seen it. But my best friend is always telling me I need to see it.

Maybe over the holiday.

 
At 12/19/06, 6:58 AM, Blogger Sara said...

"Something worse than the total agony of being in love?!"

"Oh, for the love of God say yes, you skinny moron!"

 
At 12/19/06, 8:42 PM, Blogger Nic said...

"God, you weigh a lot."

 
At 12/19/06, 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of unfair because I watched this last night, but I'd know the lobster quote anywhere.
"The lobster?"
"FIRST lobster!"
"There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?"
"Duh!"

 
At 12/20/06, 11:59 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"Tell me, exactly, how long it is that you've been working here?"
"Two years, seven months, three days and, I suppose, what, two hours?"
"And how long have you been in love with Karl, our enigmatic chief designer?"
"Ummmm, two years, seven months, three days and, I suppose, an hour and thirty minutes?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics