A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Once more, with feeling: Linky goodness

Pal Polski3 has a great post up about the threat to history education in light of its red-headed-step-child status under NCLB.

Darlin'elementaryhistoryteacher also has a post sparked by Polski that is wonderfully written.

And Matt at Going to the Mat also is moved by Polski's musings to speak out eloquently about the philosophical underpinnings of a good historical education for our youth.


I've mused about the same dilemma here.

Some paranoid people would see a conspiracy in encouraging our students to be ignorant of history, democratic processes, government development, and the like... but I'm not paranoid. Yet.



And meanwhile, Carol at The Median Sib has a immensely dense and satisfying Carnival of Education number 98 up over at her place. You can wander about for hours and never get bored! I promise!

2 Comments:

At 12/22/06, 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, thanks for the mention. This whole thing gets me riled up. :)

I've been thinking about you and what you went through at the end of January. Things are different for us both this year, but we press on. There's a little poem that Butterfly Angel sent to me last week. I thought in your quiet time of remembering you might want to read it.:)

Merry Christmas, friend!

 
At 12/22/06, 9:14 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Yes, I will not be sad to close the book on 2006.

I imagine you feel the same way.

Let's pray for a better 2007.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics