A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, January 01, 2007

Movie Madness Monday 46: Forgot and never brought to mind edition

Movie Madness Monday comes out a bit late today because I forgot it was Monday-- sad, sad, but true. And no, it's not because I partied too much last night, since Mr. Cornelius hasn't taken me out for New Year's since we were engaged, which was like the Reagan era.

But here's how we play: I give you quotes from a movie, and you respond with lines of your own from the same movie WITHOUT NAMING THE MOVIE so that everyone can play. Later in the week I will tell you the movie title, if there's any doubt left. It's a chance to stave off brain rot after our long holiday break!

I almost feel guilty about this one. Naaaah, not really. Have fun, now:


"And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

"It is so nice when you can sit with someone and not have to talk."

"Well, if you must know, it was because he was very jealous, and I had these days of the week underpants."
"BZZZZZZZT. I'm sorry, I need the judges' ruling on this. 'Days of the weeks underpants'?"
"Yes. They had the days of the week on them, and I thought they were sort of funny. And then one day Sheldon says to me, 'You never wear Sunday.' It was all suspicious. Where was Sunday? Where had I left Sunday? And I told him, and he didn't believe me."
"What?"
"They don't make Sunday."
"Why not?"
"Because of God."

"Somewhere between 30 seconds and all night is your problem."

"Its amazing. You look like a normal person, but actually you are the Angel of Death."

"You know like you know a good melon."

And if anyone says "chickflick," sowelpme, I'll whack 'em.

****Thursday Update: It Had to Be You, and it had to be

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY!


Am I the only person in America who will compulsively watch this movie every time it comes on, but especially on New Year's Eve? And of course there's this unforgettable scene:













Meg Ryan. Billy Crystal. Carrie Fisher. Rob Reiner. Rob Reiner's mother. The late great Bruno Kirby, whom we will all miss. May he rest in peace. Who else could have made the character of Jess so perfect?

15 Comments:

At 1/1/07, 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about this weeks movie, but I do want to say "Happy New Year, Mz Cornelius!" May 2007 be a new year of fine health, happiness, prosperity and peace for you and your loved ones.

 
At 1/1/07, 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You realize of course that we could never be friends."

"Why not?"

"What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."

 
At 1/1/07, 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'll have what she's having."

 
At 1/1/07, 7:56 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

I LOVE this movie!!!

Wait, it IS Gladiator, right?

 
At 1/1/07, 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No, no, no I drove him away, and I'm going to FORTY."
"When?"
"Someday."

"Right now everything is great, everyone is happy, everyone is in love and that is wonderful. But you gotta know that sooner or later you're gonna be screaming at each other about who's gonna get this dish. This eight dollar dish will cost you a thousand dollars in phone calls to the legal firm of That's Mine, This Is Yours.
Please, do me a favor, for your own good, put your name in your books right now before they get mixed up and you won't know whose is whose. 'Cause someday, believe it or not, you'll go fifteen rounds over who's gonna get this coffee table. This stupid, wagon wheel, Roy Rogers, garage sale COFFEE TABLE."
"I thought you liked it."
"I was being NICE."

 
At 1/1/07, 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Repeat after me. Pepper.
Pepper.
-Pepper.
Pepper.
-Waiter. There is too much pepper on my paprikash.
Waiter. There is too much pepper on my paprikash.
-But I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie.

 
At 1/1/07, 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I have just as much of a dark side as the next person."

"Oh, really? When I buy a new book, I read the last page first. That way, in case I die before I
finish, I know how it ends. That, my friend, is a dark side."

 
At 1/2/07, 1:44 PM, Blogger Sara said...

"you might not believe this, but I never considered not sleeping with you a sacrifice."

 
At 1/2/07, 2:44 PM, Blogger The MAN Fan Club said...

Very easy.

"Had my dream again where I'm making love, and the Olympic judges are watching. I'd nailed the compulsaries, so this is it, the finals. I got a 9.8 from the Canadians, a perfect 10 from the Americans, and my mother, disguised as an East German judge, gave me a 5.6. Must have been the dismount."

 
At 1/2/07, 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, YAY! I can actually PLAY this one!

"BABY FISH MOUTH!!""

"You're right, you're right, I know you're right."

"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
(I had to cue up the DVD for that one...)

okay - I'm done now.

 
At 1/2/07, 9:14 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

"Charlie Chaplin had kids when he was 73."
"Yeah, but he was too old to pick them up."

Yet another of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE FLICKS OF ALL TIME.

When can you come over for a film marathon?

 
At 1/2/07, 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

You were going to be a gymnast.

A journalist.

Right, that's what I said.

 
At 1/2/07, 10:37 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"You only had one date. How do you know it's not going to get worse?"
"How much worse can it get than finishing dinner, having him reach over, pull a hair out of my head and start flossing with it at the table?"

Okay, Mamacita, say the word.

 
At 1/3/07, 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm late ... there was no Mrs. Lawrence to take me out New Year's Eve but I managed just fine on my own with good pals Johnny Walker and Jack Daniel. ;-)

"Really, what's so hard about finding an apartment? What you do is look in the Obituary section. You see who died, find out where they lived, and tip the doorman. What they could do to make it easier is combine the two. You know, Mr. Klein died yesterday, leaving behind a wife, two children, and a spacious three bedroom apartment with a wood burning fireplace."

 
At 1/5/07, 12:48 AM, Blogger The MAN Fan Club said...

You're the worst kind, you're high maintenance but you think don't think you're high maintenance......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics