A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Saturday, February 17, 2007

5 Blogs that make me think


Darling Elementaryhistoryteacher chose me as one of her five blogs that make her think, and I am indeed humbled by her support.

The original idea for this award was from ilker over at The thinking blog, which is a site I had never visited before and I am so glad that I did-- this looks right up my alley.

One of the greatest things that I have enjoyed since entering the blogging world has been the conversations that I have had with all kinds of people all over the world. I really appreciate the free exchange of ideas, the polite back-and-forth and give-and-take that has so enriched my life.

Although it will be incredibly difficult to limit myself to a measly five, since I am a serial blog-reader, here are five blogs that really make me think, besides the ones that have already been tagged that I read all the time, such as elementaryhistoryteacher's site, Californiateacherguy, Mamacita, and From the trenches of public education:

1. Educationwonks is my blogfather, the person who inspired me to stick my boat in the water. He is the gravitational center of the Edusphere, the creator of the Carnival of Education, that weekly smorgasbord of the bests of educational blogposts, and besides that, he is a really great guy. But he always finds the most interesting nuggets relating to education anywhere. There's always something good to read over at the Wonks' place.

2. NYC Eduator is another blogger who really makes me think. I know a LOT more about NYC schools since I added him to my blogroll, let me tell you. Even if your situation is different than NYC's, you can see the best and the worst of the urban educational landscape here.

3. Scott Elliot at Get On the Bus reports on education for the Dayton Daily News. This is a great place to find out what the world of education is like from a non-teacher perspective here in the Land Between the Coasts.

4. Quaker Dave over at The Quaker Agitator has such a refined sense of ethics and morality-- you know he really believes in practicing what he preaches in the classroom and in his life. This is a man with a real moral compass, much like California Teacher Guy. A moment at his blog refreshes my soul, and provokes much soul-searching.

5.Polski3 at Polski3's View from Here is one of the wonderful examples in the Edusphere of someone who is so invested in public education and who is continually reflecting upon his practice as a teacher. When he threatened to stop blogging this year, I panicked. We've lost a lot of good bloggers this year, and I am so glad that Polski3 decided not to be one of them.

And there are a hundred more people upn whom I depend to help me reflect upon my practice and beliefs as an educator. If you have a chance stop by these blogs and see what I mean. Thanks so much for coming by to my little corner of the world every day!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 2/17/07, 3:31 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

Thanks very much for your kind words. I apologize for making you think, and if you're too tired or anything, feel free not to. Sometimes after a full day of teaching, thinking is absolutely the last thing I want to do.

 
At 2/17/07, 3:41 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Nah-- that's okay. I'm a masochist. That's one of the ways I've stayed in teaching.

 
At 2/17/07, 3:46 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Just so you know, the only reason I didn't nominate YOU was because ElementaryHistoryTeacher did. Otherwise, you'd have been right up there on my list!

 
At 2/17/07, 4:55 PM, Blogger M-Dawg said...

I enjoy reading your blog every day.

Keep up the insightful words and thoughts. You keep me going as an eduactor! :-)

 
At 2/17/07, 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very kind of you to name Get on the Bus to this list and funny, since I would say Mrs. C's blog gives me a better insight than any other of the view from INSIDE the classroom!

 
At 2/17/07, 5:38 PM, Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Excellent choices.

The only problem with blogs? Not enough time to read them all!

 
At 2/17/07, 5:41 PM, Blogger QuakerDave said...

I am so very touched by your words. I will try hard to live up to them.

 
At 2/18/07, 9:29 AM, Blogger ilker said...

Hehe.. if I knew selecting 5 blogs would be so hard, I would have started it as 10 blogs that make me think! In any case, I think its better like this because only really good content gets the deserved exposure. Regard, ilker.

 
At 2/18/07, 2:14 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Right back atcha, darlin' mamacita!

Thanks so much m-dawg!

Mrs. Bluebird, I appreciate all your comments, and I certainly know what you mean about not enough time. It's addictive.

I want to thank ilker for this great idea, and a great excuse to say things we shouls say all the time anyway. One thing is for certain about teaching-- people don't hear enough validation about what they think and do.

 
At 2/19/07, 7:07 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

Thanks. I hope some of my blogging doesn't make your head hurt.



Cheers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics