A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Friday, February 09, 2007

7 things about leadership

Nani (who is the One) tagged me with this meme started by our delightful colleague Miguel Guhlin.

Here's the question: What are 7 qualities we don’t know about you that help you be a leader?

1. Of course the first essential quality of a leader is that they know when to follow. Like the fact that I am doing this meme!

2. I don't let kids (or parents) ruffle my feathers too much.

3. I rarely raise my voice. I growled at the computer today when the program I was running froze up, and half the class jumped because they had never heard that sound come out of my mouth. This is ironic, because I can be really loud.

4. I may not know the answer, but I am always willing to find out.

5. A good leader has to be engaged with the task at hand. I hate it when I have waited to talk to someone and their eyes are darting away, or they're looking at their insanely wasteful administratror playthingsBlackberries or walking away or fiddling with their schtuff. It's rude and demoralizing to do otherwise.

6. I am a perfek prefecshun perfectionist.

7. It's really important to me that I do the best job that I can.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2/9/07, 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. C, #2, #3, and #6 really resonated with me.

re: #2: I am still working on this one, even after nearly 13 years in the trenches. It's a work in progress, although I am doing much better with the students.

Which leads me to your #3: I used to talk very loudly - until this year. Kids don't expect for you to talk softly when you are agitated. And, it's reaped positive results.

#6 - Well, that's just who I am. Although I am getting more used to the fact that the world is in fact an imperfect place, the world is more perfect because I am in it. LOL!

Great list re: leadership.:)

 
At 2/10/07, 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining in! Number three is something that I am still working on, but I have gotten much better at it!

 
At 2/10/07, 12:49 PM, Blogger ms. whatsit said...

My all time favorite administrator had a wonderful personal philosophy about her own body language when someone walked into her office. Regardless of whatever important schtuff she might have been working on at the moment, she would move her hands away from the computer or put down her pen and turn her body toward the person. That really made an impression on me that she cared about people; and though I am not quite as good at it as she was, I try to emulate this behavior when a student comes to talk to me.

 
At 2/10/07, 7:50 PM, Blogger Butterfly Angel said...

Ms. Cornelius,

Talk about a small world or is it 'six degress of separation' ~ Miguel Guhlin works for the same district as I!!! I knew that his name was not the ordinary run-of-the-mill moniker.

#3 is the 'area of growth' for me;
#4 I learned to do that at a young age.

ttfn,
b.a.

 
At 2/11/07, 6:59 PM, Blogger Miguel Guhlin (@mGuhlin) said...

Thanks for participating, Ms. C.!

Miguel Guhlin
Around the Corner-MGuhlin.net
http://www.mguhlin.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics