A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, February 19, 2007

Movie Madness Monday 53: Land of the free edition

Here we are again to begin the second year of Movie Madness Monday, the movie quote trivia game, and the lingering effects of Valentine's Day are still hanging, cloyingly sweet, like a cloud of treacly mist. So we must take action, lest we go into a coma.

So here's the lay of the land: I give you quotes from a movie, you provide some of your own from the same movie. We do not reveal the name of the movie until later in the week, so everyone can play. Who could ask for more?

"In order to converse with an equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."

"A lordship and titles. Gold. That I should become Judas?"
"Peace is made in such ways."
"Slaves are made in such ways. The last time Longshanks spoke of peace I was a boy. And many Scottish nobles, who would not be slaves, were lured by him under a flag of truce to a barn, where he had them hanged. I was very young, but I remember Longshank's notion of peace."

"Every man dies, not every man really lives."

"Sanguinarius homo indomitus est, et se me dite cum mendacia." (He is a bloodthirsty savage, and he is telling lies.)
"Ego nunquam pronunciari mendacium! Sed ego sum homo indomitus." Pause. "Ou en français, si vous préférez?" (I never lie! But I am indeed a savage.) Pause. (Or in French, if you prefer?)

"The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots."

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMM!!!!"

****Weekend Update: Paint your face blue and moon your enemies in commemoration of brave, valiant, William Wallace in



BRAVEHEART


Not since Sean Connery has being a Scot looked so good. Let's face it, Mel looks great with that wavy mane, before he was a hopeless anti-Semite and drunk driver. Mel, you DON'T have to be your dad. Really.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 2/19/07, 2:07 PM, Blogger mr. e said...

There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom.

 
At 2/19/07, 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!! Another of my favorite movies!!

"Yes, Father! The Almighty says, don't change the subject, just answer the fookin' question!"

"ye must have made an impression... I didn't think you were in the tent that long."

"Englishmen don't know what a tongue is for."

"That'll wake you up in the mornin', boy!!"

I'll stop now so that other people can play - I can practically recite this movie...

 
At 2/19/07, 7:02 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

We shall have to remedy that...

Robert the Bruce
I can't remember any specific quotes regarding him, I just remember the character's name. Whenever it's time for my fantasy football draft and someone selects Isaac Bruce from the St. Louis Rams, I always shout out, "Isaac the Bruce!!"

 
At 2/19/07, 7:04 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

Erin go Braugh! Or whatever Celtic battle cries were shouted by my ancestors from Lauder (Maitlands/Lauderdales)and Dun Lop near Glasgow......

Great Movie ! Maybe not all that historically accurate, but still a cool movie. I have an english silver penny from the reign of Edward 1 that I show my students....Who knows, maybe said coin was actually in the bag on the waist of one of my ancestors.

Today on History Channel, was PLANET OF THE APES.....I SAW you, MsCornelius! :-)

 
At 2/19/07, 7:52 PM, Blogger Ms. Q said...

You really gave it away with the last quote, and since it's my fave, I leave it to others!

 
At 2/19/07, 8:04 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Well, Polski, at least it's not Disney's Pocahontas, if you're talking accuracy ;-)

And in a similar vein, POTA is always fun, but what was it doing on the HISTORY Channel?

My doppelganger and I are willing to believe that the lower life forms aren't so "low," after all....

I had to give it away with the last quote, because apparently I was stumping people.... sorry. But I bet you can come up with a different quote!

 
At 2/19/07, 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't resist:

"Historians from England will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes."

Okay - I'll stop now, I promise...

 
At 2/19/07, 11:53 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I know which movie this is, but I have never seen it. I don't much go for disbowelings.

This might be your first Movie Madness movie that I haven't seen!

 
At 2/20/07, 8:38 AM, Blogger AfricaBleu said...

"Lands, titles, men, power... nothing."
"Nothing?"
"I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and children. Those men who bled the ground red at Falkirk fought for William Wallace. He fights for something that I never had. And I took it from him, when I betrayed him. I saw it in his face on the battlefield and it's tearing me apart."
"All men betray. All lose heart."
"I don't want to lose heart. I want to believe as he does...I will never be on the wrong side again."

"I understand you have recently been given the rank of knight."
"I have been given nothing. God makes men what they are."

"Fine speech. Now what do we do?"
"Just be yourselves."
"Where are you going?"
"I'm going to pick a fight."
"Hope we didn't get dressed up for nothing."

Boy, I love this movie...

 
At 2/20/07, 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How geeky am I? I'm reading ALL of these quotes with the appropriate Scots accent. I LOVED Hamish...

 
At 2/20/07, 3:29 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

EMBRACE the geekiness! Become ONE with the brogue!

 
At 2/20/07, 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... no quotes, because I think everyone else got to them.

Ah, old tyme-y Mr. G. This was, of course, before the drink and the anti-Semitism got to him. I recall, back in 1995 when this was made, the only charge against M.G. was homophobia ... now he's got bigger complaints, hmm? ;-)

 
At 2/21/07, 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In order to converse with an equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."

That's perfect.

 
At 2/26/07, 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Men don't follow titles, they follow courage."

www.ReelLifeWisdom.com

 
At 6/3/10, 5:26 PM, Anonymous Costa Rica Cheap Land for Sale said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics