A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Thursday Thirteen Number 3


Thirteen Things I Learned from My Dad


1. Football teaches you about life (pronounced l-a-h-f).
2. The Orange Bowl isn't the Orange Bowl unless OU is playing in it for the national championship.
3. Barbecue is the best food ever.
4. Louisiana Hot Sauce is good on everything.
5. Watermelon is more interesting with salt on it.
6. Wuthering Heights is a great book. My dad insisted I read it when I was about 11, and I loved it.
7. A mechanic is only as good as his tools.
8. A man can live his life as a complete, patriarchal, sexist pig-- until he has a little girl who might not get to do whatever she wants.
9. A real friend helps his friends whenever they need help, and tries to do it humbly and secretly.
10. You should never be without a pocket knife-- and he was right. Everytime I haven't had one, I needed one.
11. The day is not done until the crossword puzzle is done.
12. Little children like green gum.
13. A good vocabulary can take you anywhere.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2/1/07, 8:10 PM, Blogger Anna Mary said...

your list is so cute! happy tt!

 
At 2/1/07, 8:44 PM, Blogger BlondeBrony said...

That was a great list. It show how important your dad was in your life.

Happy TT!

 
At 2/2/07, 6:15 AM, Blogger Milan-zzz said...

Oh yeah, I wrote about combination of ham and melon on my previous TT!
I especially like #9 and #13 (and would add knowing some foreign language as well)

Happy Thursday!
Mine TT is up too :)
Cheers!

 
At 2/2/07, 3:51 PM, Blogger Cafe Cats said...

Sounds like he was a wonderful and wise man.

 
At 2/2/07, 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great list. And #8 is soo true..my dad had 3 little girls. And your dad is right...watermelon is definitely better with salt on it. Great TT and happy Friday.

 
At 2/9/07, 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your Dad and my Dad are from the same generation. They share similar beliefs and philosophies. Perhaps it's also a Southern thing: my dad is from South Carolina. And, your Dad was on point re: Louisiana Hot Sauce; my daf would agree.:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics