A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Pray for Tony Snow and his family

Presidential spokesman Tony Snow, who was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2005, has had a cancerous growth removed from near his liver today.



This disease is truly a silent threat. Colon cancer often metastasizes to the liver. Both my mother and my father had colon cancer. My grandmother had colon cancer. Some of my great-aunts and great-uncles had colon cancer. My father passed away from metstasized colon cancer last year, and it had spread to his liver and lungs. By the time we found out, it was too late to do anything. Mr. Snow has been much more proactive, and that is a true blessing.

Mr. Snow and his wife, Jill, have three children between the ages of 11 and 14.

Mr. Snow has always been a class act when it comes to fighting this disease. I am sure that his strength of will will help him carry through this latest development.

For those of us with a family history of this disease, we must obtain a colonoscopy starting when we are forty. I've already had one-- and it is NOT a horrible ordeal. Modern medicine has made this procedure incredibly safe and pain-free. Those without a family history should get colonoscopies starting when they are fifty. A colonoscopy provides peace of mind that is worth far more than any momentary inconveniences.

No matter what your political affiliation, I bid your prayers for Tony Snow and his family, and ask that you keep him in your heart.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 3/27/07, 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not kept up with the news like I should! Scary. I have three tumors on my liver, any speak of liver issues just freaks me out. Denial. I know that mine are benign and 99.8% of the time stay that way, but still.

Now that my personal medical history is all out there...if you get a chance stop by. I'm curious what your take is on a six year olds homework situation.

 
At 3/28/07, 8:20 AM, Blogger MommyProf said...

I am glad to hear your take on the colonoscopy. Spouse has a similar family history and turns 40 in August...

 
At 3/28/07, 3:26 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

It was not bad. Really.

Tell the spouse that he MUST do it, for peace of mind.

And kontan, I am glad that you at least KNOW. I'll keep you in my prayers, too.

 
At 3/29/07, 5:43 PM, Blogger QuakerDave said...

I'll share my scope story.

About a year ago, I had a little scare, and got scoped. Now, you understand that I am the biggest weenie on the planet when it comes to all things medical.

The 'scope? Piece of cake. I didn't even have any side-effects from the knock-out stuff, and I get side-effects from justing LOOKING at most medicines.

If I can do it, anyone can. So get it done.

By the way, everything was fine.

 
At 3/29/07, 8:04 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I am so proud of you, QD! And so glad that you are all right.

I am probably worse than you: a regular blood donor who nonetheless has to turn her head when the needle comes out and is waved in my general direction and a baby who has to have valium to go to the dentist.

But I feel much better after they told me that everything looked fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics