A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Eight! Ocho! Huit! Yodul! Hachi! VIII!

On the Edge and Casting Out Nines have both graciouly tagged moi to reveal 8 random things about myself. Now, if you read this blog at all, you know it's pretty damn random anyway, but okie-doke!

1. I never wear nail polish on my fingernails. I remember when the Husbandly Unit was courting me, and I had been buying into all that gotta-paint-your-nails-if-you-want-to-catch-a-fella crap, and, like the engineer he is, he pointed out what an absolute waste of time it was to do it, so I very thankfully stopped. I am sure it was actually all a part of his nefarious plan to marry a low-maintenance (please read that word as "inexpensive") woman since he was also quite, um, frugal. But I never get a manicure. Of any sort. French, Korean, Russian or any other nationality. When you play stringed instruments, what's the point?

2. I used to drink 7-8 Pepsis a day, beginning early in the morning and going into the wee hours. I now allow myself maybe one a day during the school year. It was a wrench.

3. I only gained 8 pounds while I was expecting. When you start off looking like a lady weight-lifter, you don't need to go far. And my feet actually decreased a size by the time I had my last kid.

4. I used to be addicted to romance novels. I liked the funny ones-- not so much with the Danielle Steele. My favorite one was also a mystery-- It was Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters. I read that often, even today.

5. Complete strangers ask me for help or advice in stores and on the street. All the time. They will pick me out of a crowd and make a beeline for me, ignoring cops and concierges by the score. My husband has finally gotten used to it, but it used to freak him out.

6. I could clean up on that new show "The Singing Bee." I can remember song lyrics from songs I haven't heard for years. On our vacation, we discovered that, apparently, radio stations in the Carolinas don't play any music other than oldies and country. I sang the lyrics to every song I heard for hours to keep myself awake. After three notes, I can start belting out, "When the sun comes up on a sleepy little town/ Down around San Antone/ And the folks are risin' for another day/ Round about their homes...." Pity me.

7. I don't get hangovers. Ever. The secret is to drink a glass of water for every glass of alcohol. And come from a long line of moonshiners.

8. I was a Camp Fire Girl. Not a Girl Scout; a Camp Fire Girl. All the way from Blue Birds through Horizon Club. And I loved it. I wish there was a group nearby for my girls, but they are Girl Scouts instead, poor things.



Now, this meme has been around for so long, I hereby tag anyone who hasn't gotten to play along yet if they want to. Just let me know, and I'll read yours!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 7/3/07, 6:09 AM, Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Re No. 7: Really? One glass of water for every glass of alcohol? All that liquid's gotta go somewhere, right? Uh...

 
At 7/3/07, 7:23 AM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I married an engineer, too, and he discourages fingernail polish. Weird, but good because I, too am (lazy) - um, low maintenance..

I'm cursed with song lyric recall, too. It makes my husband crazy, because he just makes words up and I, being who I am, correct him...

 
At 7/3/07, 8:16 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

CTG-- yes, there's this place called a bathroom that you have to visit-- unless, of course, you are a teacher, and have a bladder the size of a pot-bellied pig.

mrschili-- you know my pain!

"Who knows what tomorrow brings?/ In a world few hearts survive?/ All I know, is the way I feel/ And it's real, I keep it alive....."
I got to sing that one TWICE on vacation!

 
At 7/3/07, 5:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

#5 must be a teacher thing. Happens to me all the time, even in foreign countries. Manicures are pointless.

 
At 7/4/07, 4:37 PM, Blogger graycie said...

I'm with you on the fingernail polish. Toes, though in summer -- somehow my poor toes in sandals look pretty naked-y (and not in a good way) without some kind of color.

Your garden sounds wonderful -- even to a melt-in-the-heat person like me. If I ever get to visit, I'll bring the lemonade (or was that margueritas?) -- okay?

 
At 7/4/07, 6:22 PM, Blogger ms. whatsit said...

I wouldn't have taken you for a romance novel reader. Did you ever read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books? They include a little time travel, history, and of course the requisite steamy love scenes. I found them a bit more fun to read than the standard Harlequin, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics