A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Seven meme

Matt Johnston at Going to the Mat hath tagged me with the "7 things" meme and.... well you know the rest.

Here are the rules: - Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
- Share 7 random and or weird things about yourself.
- Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
- Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on his or her blog.

My 7 things:
1. I am a big proponent of prayer and meditation. I read Compline from the Book of Common Prayer every night. I also pray Psalm 91, verses 1-4 and 9-12 for several of my beloved friends who are suffering from cancer and other serious illnesses. I invite anyone who reads this to read it with me at 10 pm CST each night and pray for your loved ones who are ill.

2. I love British comedy. I am currently enjoying the Vicar of Dibley Immaculate Collection, that I bought as a splurge from amazon.com. That Dawn French is a genius! I was watching an episode in an airport earlier this month, and not only did I laugh so hard that tears came out of my eyes, but people started coming over to see what I was watching.

3. My children provide my heart with most of the aerobic exercise I receive. The Preeteen Daughter especially has made my heart race a lot lately-- and not always in a good way.

4. I have read 7 books thus far this break: Starman Jones, (an old favorite) by Robert A. Heinlein, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, by J. K. Rowling, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards, How to See Yourself as You Really Are, by the Dalai Lama, Evil and the Justice of God, by N. T. Wright, The Bill of Wrongs, by Molly Ivins (God bless her), and Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. I hope to read a book for every day of break.

5. I am a big sports fan. I love to watch football, baseball, and soccer, especially. I play softball and racquetball, and am going to promise myself to start walking and running again this year before I start influencing the tides more.

6. I enjoyed Rome and Weeds and Six Feet Under, but the really repetitively obscene language grates on me after a while, and I am no prude. Do people really talk like that all the time? Outside of fraternity houses, I mean? It just seems boring and indicative of a lack of imagination.

7. I cannot watch horror movies and even the CSI shows are too much for me. Although I have no moral qualms with it, I could never go see one of those exhibitions of preserved human bodies. The images stay in my head for years-- and I mean years. I foolishly went to see Se7en with my husband at the theater, and I have regretted that decision many times. Yuck.

And I now tag:
AprilMay
Dr. Bad Ass
ButterflyAngel
Happychyck
Mike in Texas
Isabella
Ramblin' Educat

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12/29/07, 10:10 AM, Blogger Mei said...

I've only just finished the Vicar of Dibley series, and I LOVE it! I'm so glad someone else has discovered it too!

 
At 12/29/07, 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I either read Evening Prayer from the 1928 BCP every night around 10pm, including the litany, or I pray the Anglican rosary.

I'm with you on the horror stuff. I also made the mistake of watching Se7en once, and it still gives me the heebie jeebies.

I am getting ready to dive into the new Heaney Beowulf -- just for pleasure -- I don't teach Beowulf to my AP seniors.

 
At 12/29/07, 2:49 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Ooooo- Beowulf! I might need to go to the bookstore..... My husband will kill me......

I also like to add in contemplative meditation after Compline. Sometimes I use the Night Prayer from A New Zealand Prayer Book. It is just lovely.

 
At 12/29/07, 6:16 PM, Blogger Mrs. T said...

Good for you for reading a book for each day of break!
I love the British television, too. Our local PBS station is now running a show called Sorry!, which is from the 80's, about an unmarried 40-something man with a domineering mother-hilarious.
I can't watch anything remotely scary either- anything even a bit tense makes me press the mute button and cover my eyes.

 
At 12/30/07, 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with that series, but I'm busy reading as much as possible during break. When I'm teaching, I'm lucky to fit in 10 exhausted minutes before I crash. I love having more sleep! I am a huge HP fan; I read all of the books over the summer because I disdained the series for a long time. I have had two preteen girls, and it is a NASTY time. Ugh.

 
At 1/3/08, 8:16 PM, Blogger Isabella K said...

Happy New Year! Wow, that's a lot of reading for the break -- I'm waiting for life to get back to normal so my regular reading habits can resume.

Thanks for the tag -- I did this meme a few years ago, but having been tagged a couple times in recent weeks, maybe I have to dig deeper...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics