A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Thursday, January 17, 2008

God! I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

As the smoke clears from the battlefield, and the helicopter blades churn the air overhead I just have one thing to say:

Dear Parent:

I am concerned about your son, too. But thirteen emails, plus a letter to the principal, plus three requests relayed through the counselor, plus four requests from the caseworker asking for feedback in 9 days is a bit much. I and the other teachers have responded to each one of these as quickly as we can.

I have observed and counseled and worked one-on-one with your son. But you need to understand that I am not supposed to be checking my email during instructional time. Instructional time means time I spend actively instructing students. That would mean your child-- plus one hundred and two other young people who are just as beloved by their parents and who deserve just as much of my attention. I am sorry the counselor was sick and did not respond to your emails immediately, but she... was... sick. Nearly hospitalized even, not that that is really anyone's business.

Meanwhile, you haven't spoken directly to your son. Please back away from the computer, and try this, after taking a deep breath. We all want what is best for him.

Sincerely,
Ms. Cornelius

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics