A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, February 18, 2008

Movie Madness Monday 103: American masterpiece edition

It's President's Day, and I'm in the mood for a hero. It is high time for a classic-- one of the few books that was also turned into a magnificent film.

So you know how the game works: Put your quotes in the comments section, and tell me if this isn't one of the greatest movies or books ever.


"Somehow, it was hotter then. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning; ladies bathed before noon, after their 3 o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frosting from sweating and sweet talcum. The day was twenty-four hours long, but it seemed longer. There was no hurry, for there was nowhere to go and nothing to buy... and no money to buy it with."

"Jem's up in the tree. He says he won't come down until you agree to play football for the Methodists."

"I'm little but I'm old."

"You can pet him, Mr. Arthur. He's asleep. Couldn't if he was awake, though; he wouldn't let you. Go ahead."

"What kind of man ARE you?"

"There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible."

"Good Afternoon Miss Dubose... My, you look like a picture this afternoon."
"He don't say a picture of what."

****Weekend Update: This week's hero was Atticus Finch, fantastically portrayed by Gregory Peck in

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

--one of my favorite books and movies ever. So often the movie version of a book disappoints, particularly when you take a classic. Every missing word is like a wound to the heart. But not in this case. A wonderful, wonderful cinematic experience. If you haven't read the book recently, you need to revisit this one. And then watch this masterpiece.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 2/18/08, 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only quote would give it away (it's about those noisy things, go ahead and do them harm), but what a great book, what a great movie.

Wait, "leave the Earth beholden to nothing" is that right?

Thanks for choosing this one.

 
At 2/18/08, 1:19 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I've only seen the movie once, but I've read the book enough to know this one by heart:

"Thank you for my children, Arthur."

 
At 2/18/08, 5:00 PM, Blogger Friar said...

"Stand up, Miss Jean Louise. Your father's passin'."

 
At 2/18/08, 5:11 PM, Blogger teachergirl said...

Yes. Stand up. Your father's passin.

When Prep read this last year, she couldn't get enough of it. She was enthralled. Finally. And it broke my heart, because it broke hers.

 
At 2/18/08, 7:39 PM, Blogger Mrs. T said...

I LOVE this movie, LOVE this book.

That being said, I got nothin. I suck at this- but today am so excited because I actually know the movie.

 
At 2/18/08, 9:40 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Mrs. t-- you can use a quote from the book (said Ms. Cornelius, helpfully) or EVEN BETTER watch the movie again-- that's what I did today.

Ahhhh, Mr. Peck.

 
At 2/21/08, 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this on a screen in the park this summer. Really neat. I can't tell you how many times I've read the book--or how many papers I've written on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics