A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My work here is OBVIOUSLY not done....

As we geared up to talk about Super Tuesday in the Cornelius classroom (and after I dodged 24 questions about who I voted for and what party I supported), one of my students talked about how he was going to be eligible to vote in the presidential election in November and how excited he was to be able to participate. I was feeling that warm glow of accomplishment until he said this:

"Yeah, I can't wait to cast my first ballot!"

One of the other kids questioned him: "So who would you vote for?"

"I don't know but I'm a--"My young friend then rustled around in his notebook and pulled out a piece of paper with notes from a previous class discussion in which I had explained the histories and basic platforms of the parties. He looked at it for two seconds and then finished, "a Republican, because I like to hunt! Yeah, that's it!"

Sigh.

Well, he's got until next November to be sure, I guess. I just hope he doesn't have to take his cheat sheet to the polls.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 2/6/08, 6:17 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'm sorry - but this had me laughing OUT LOUD.

THESE are the kids who will be in charge of our future. Kinda makes me shudder...

 
At 2/6/08, 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can think of worse reasons for picking a party. And at least he had it written down.

 
At 2/6/08, 9:03 PM, Blogger Mrs. T said...

Reminds me of that old SNL Jon Lovitz schtick- "Yeah! That's the ticket!"

 
At 2/7/08, 10:39 AM, Blogger Lindsay! said...

awe c'mon guys its uber cute!

 
At 2/11/08, 9:30 AM, Blogger Merritt Fields said...

At least he had a reason other than "the black dude" or "the white chick," which is how my students base their preferences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics