A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, April 21, 2008

Movie Madness Monday 111: Edmond Rostand edition

It's a new week, which puts us one Monday closer to summer break! Look how profound I have become! Whoo!

So for this week's MMM, I will leave the Planet of the Apes for just a moment and head to the Planet of Plays That High School Kids Don't Read Anymore, updated through one of my favorite "stand-up guys"-- a wild and crazy guy, even.

Please put your quotes in the comments section! Please tell me I am not the only person who loved this movie so much that I have watched it over and over!


"Personal: 'Well, here we are-- just the three of us!'"

"Polite: 'Would you mind not bobbing your head? The orchestra keeps changing tempo.'"

"Sympathetic: 'Awwww, what happened? Did your parents lose a bet with God?'"

"Naughty: 'Um, pardon me, sir, some of the ladies have asked if you wouldn't mind putting that thing away.'"


"I notice you don't have any tattoos. I think that's a wise choice. I don't think Jackie Onassis would've gone as far if she'd have had an anchor on her arm."

"You said you didn't want a coat!"
"I was being ironic!"
"Oh, ho, ho-- IRONY! Oh, no, no-- we don't get that here. See, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about, oh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at.

"I wanna look like--- Diana Ross!"

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4/21/08, 8:20 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Want to have a drink sometime? If you do, check this box.

 
At 4/21/08, 9:15 PM, Blogger educat said...

I've spent about five years trying to score a classroom set of this play to insure that HS kids DO read this play!!

You've used the line I enjoy from this version (about irony), so I'll kick it old school and go with my favorite line from the Rostand epic.

"I have loved but one man in my life and I have lost him...twice."

Ahhhh

 
At 4/21/08, 10:59 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Oooh, let's read the play together this week! It's one of my favorites-- it's actually on my headboard.

I am such a litgeek.

"Obscure: 'I'd hate to see the grindstone!'"

 
At 4/22/08, 7:28 AM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Honestly, I have no idea what this movie is, but I LOVE this line:

See, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a high priority.

 
At 4/22/08, 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to invite you to a Nelson tradition of hot-tubbing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics