A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Own Thursday Thirteen: Thankfulness

As the school year winds down, I like to take stock of the year and list all my many blessings. I even like to take some of my banes and try to view them as blessings. To wit:

1. I am grateful for the assistant principal calling the one insane parent who didn't believe me the previous times I told her her daughter was in danger of failing--- until she actually did, and then the waterworks started and the dealmaking was attempted. The phone calls were coming about every hour, until I thought I would lose my mind. He told her the subject was closed, and actually knew that I had tried everything to get this girl to take her grade seriously. The phone calls blessedly stopped.

2. I am grateful that that principal was with us-- because now he's among the leaving.

3. I am grateful my husband could stay home with the kids and work from home while I finished off the school year. If they ever figure out a way for teachers to telecommute, I will be all over that.

4. I am grateful that it finally stopped raining, and that the sun is shining-- for now, according to the weather man. Drat.

5. I am grateful I don't have to spend any more time with Redneck Mother-- who elevated being a Neanderthal to an art form lately.

6. I am grateful I get to watch my son carry sticks around and make all kinds of cool architectural marvels in the back yard-- until the dogs run through them at Mach 3. I am also grateful he just shrugs his shoulders and starts over again.

7. I am grateful for my friend Little Flower as she retires. I don't think the middle school has figured out what they will be missing next year-- but they will.

8. I am grateful that i got to meet one of the foreign exchange student's parents. What a wonderful surprise! It wasn't a surprise that they were wonderful people, just as their daughter is.

9. I am grateful for discovering the band Vampire Weekend. If any music screams out "Summer!", then this is it. I believe I shall crank it as I work in my room. I love "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa."

10. I am grateful that the computerized grading system only froze once this week. Of course, it was right when senior grades were due, and I had to stay an hour after school waiting for it to get fixed, but let's not nitpick.

11. I am grateful that my most emotionally disabled student managed to really turn it on, get himself together, be an absolute angel, AND score a solid B on the final exam. My second most afflicted student actually managed to pass by a hair again. Whoo-hoo!

12. Did I mention that the sun is shining?

13. I am grateful I found this shirt. It says, "The beatings will continue until morale improves." Doesn't that just sum up life in education?

What are you feeling grateful for?

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 5/29/08, 5:16 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

I'm grateful for my health, my family, and for smart teachers like you who I hope will teach my kid someday.

 
At 5/29/08, 8:42 PM, Blogger MommyProf said...

I am grateful for my education and for my kids' teacher, to whom we are writing thank you notes tonight.

 
At 5/30/08, 7:14 AM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'm grateful for the woman who drives my daughters' bus. She takes the safety of my babies very seriously, and she doesn't get thanked enough for the very important work that she does.

 
At 5/30/08, 2:44 PM, Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Where can I get one of those T-shirts?

 
At 5/30/08, 3:30 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Try here for the t-shirt:
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/t+beatings+will+continue+morale+improves/-/pd_76036880?CMP=KNC-F-ALL

Mine was from a place called "Drunken Jack's Bar" in South Carolina.

 
At 5/30/08, 10:07 PM, Blogger TeacherDee said...

I'm grateful that I only have 5 days left of teaching second grade. Fifth grade, here I come!

 
At 5/31/08, 8:40 AM, Blogger M-Dawg said...

I am grateful that I have 15 more wake up days until my summer begins!

And, I am grateful that I survived the mid year teacher cuts and end of the year teacher cuts.

PS Our last day of school is June 20th. Blah! :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics