A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, August 11, 2008

Movie Madness Monday 125: English major edition

Back to school time has descended upon us, and so I've decided to go literary for this MMM. Guys: this isn't a chick flick. This is a chance to drool over Keira Knightley. Plus it's gorgeously scripted and photographed. And I chose this movie because this week we had our twentieth anniversary, and there is this line:

"Have you no consideration for my poor nerves?"
"You mistake me, my dear. I have the utmost respect for your nerves. They've been my constant companion these twenty years."

My husband laughs too heartily at that line. I think I've been insulted. But put your quotes from the movie-- or the book-- in the comments section!


"It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable."

"I could more easily forgive his vanity had he not wounded mine."

"Did I just agree to dance with Mr. Darcy?"
"I dare say you will find him amiable."
"It would be most inconvenient since I have sworn to loathe him for all eternity."

"I love you. Most ardently. Please do me the honor of accepting my hand."
"Sir, I appreciate the struggle you have been through, and I am very sorry to have caused you pain. Believe me, it was unconsciously done."

"Good grief, woman. Your skills in the art of matchmaking are positively occult."


And go! And if that means to go to Netflix to help yourself out, then do so! Trust me.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 8/11/08, 12:56 PM, Blogger cupcake said...

My favorite.

Although nothing tops the Colin Firth miniseries, except, perhaps, the novel itself, which I read at least once every two years.

Pride and Prejudice, of course.

 
At 8/11/08, 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto the BBC/Colin Firth miniseries... the best ever.

 
At 8/11/08, 1:29 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Okay, very good, kids, but the rules of the game, such as they are, are to put a QUOTE from the movie (or the book) in your comments.

"You have insulted me in every possible way, and can now have nothing further to say. I must ask you to leave immediately."

No, not you. It's a quote!

 
At 8/11/08, 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No no no! I don't teach this until October. All things in their time. I have to do all my monster books first. (I screen the Bollywood version for my snowflakes -- far more fun, and the girls don't have it memorized.)

 
At 8/12/08, 8:12 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Does NO ONE know any quotes? You love the book, but can't come up with a quote? Why is the FORMER English teacher holding down the fort, here?

"I should have been a great proficient." Judi Dench. LOVE her! Just what I thought the character could be.

 
At 8/13/08, 10:07 PM, Blogger cupcake said...

Forgive me, madam, for taking up so much of your time.

 
At 8/14/08, 7:57 AM, Blogger Goldie said...

Ugh. I read the book in '99. It reminded me of my coworker. Tall, dark, handsome, brilliant, and incredibly hard to deal with. I thought the man was a perfect Darcy. As later events showed, he was simply an asshole, and a mentally unstable one at that. So much for Darcys; they don't exist. I was so disillusioned that I couldn't bring myself to see the movie. Maybe I should do it after all. Also, I just realized "Darcy" could be a good code word for "asshole". Hmmm...

 
At 8/15/08, 9:50 PM, Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

My absolute favorite book - I read it every summer. And I've seen the Colin Firth and Kiera Knightly versions of the movie so many times, it's nearly ridiculous!

 
At 8/19/08, 2:18 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I have a hurricane day today. But, no quotes. I'd have to cheat to get one. Is that allowed?

 
At 8/21/08, 2:09 PM, Blogger B said...

oh i didnt realise which movie u were talking about until i read the first comment. I shud guessed from the mr. darcy quote.

 
At 8/21/08, 9:45 PM, Blogger Jen said...

"I do not possess the talent of being able to converse with people I don't know."

"Perhaps you should take your aunt's advice and practice."

and...

"What do you suggest, to encourage affection?"

"Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable."

 
At 12/19/08, 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just watching the movie...and my favorite line is..."good grief woman, your skills in the art of matchmaking are positively occult"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics