A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Friday, November 14, 2008

What I like about you

Ahhh, the Romantics. Not the poets-- the New Wave band from the 80s.

The reason I am thinking of this gem of three chord rock and roll is one of our new administrators. Now you all know I do not suffer fools gladly or otherwise if they completely refuse to teach or administrate. But this person is the real deal, thus far.

When this person sees you, she asks you how you are doing. And wants to listen to the answer. And respond.

When this person asks for feedback, it is really something that she wants to know.

This administrator has tried some new things, and seems to be paying attention to making it possible for teachers to concentrate on teaching.

This principal has demonstrated a stellar work ethic thus far. However, when her child was sick, she left and took care of her child. This is how it should be. When one of my colleagues stated disapproval for this, I asked, "How often last year did you have to take off for your kid? Just because someone is an administrator, that doesn't mean that they stop being a mom, any more than you stop being a mom to be a teacher." I love my students-- but my own children come first. This administrator does not have any family here in town-- like our family, she is a transplant from elsewhere. I know what it's like to have no one to turn to when the kids need supervision and mom has to work.

She has tightened the reins without becoming Simon Legree. We loved and supported our former principal, but she chose to move on, and God bless her for it. This person is here now, and she is trying to improve our school. This does not imply that it was bad. But any school can improve.

So far, two thumbs up.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11/15/08, 7:46 AM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

This makes me happy. I hear so many stories of asshat administrators, and it brings me hope that at least SOME of you are working with the real deal.

 
At 11/15/08, 11:38 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Oh there are still doofuses in our building too. But so far, so good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics