A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tunesday 5: Allison Krauss and Robert Plant

Allison Krauss and Robert Plant, Raising Sand

What? You didn't watch the Grammy Awards?

Five Grammy Awards. Five. You know, just when I lose hope in the Grammies, they pull out a Joni Mitchell tribute album last year and now this one. Almost makes up for anything Eminem has ever foisted on my poor unsuspecting eardrums. Almost.

I've enjoyed this album for over a year. It's amazing to think about putting these two truly singular voices together on an album-- and only the unfathomable mind of T-Bone Burnett could conceive of such a thing. I bow to you, sir. These two artists possess such stunning gifts that I almost want to never dirty the air with my lame warbling after their voices have echoed within the room.

What makes this album so amazing?

1. A ethereal cover of one of my favorite songs, "Killing the Blues."
2. An unusual number called "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us."
3. Outdoing the Everly Brothers on "Gone Gone Gone."
4. The country twang of "Through the Morning, Through the Night." I mean, Robert Plant singing the high harmony!

Here's Robert Plant and T-Bone Burnett discussing the project:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2/10/09, 6:03 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

I have adored Alison Krauss for years. You might like her too, if you haven't heard her own stuff yet. She sings like an angel, and plays the fiddle too.

What more can you ask from a mere mortal?

 
At 2/10/09, 6:27 PM, Blogger Ms. George said...

I love this album!! V. happy to see the Grammy love. My fav is 'Please read the letter'. Sigh.

 
At 2/11/09, 9:16 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Now, NYC, we've had this conversation before... I have all of her stuff with Union Station, too, natch! Voice of heaven!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics