A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Tunesday 15: I Wanna Be Sedated

Hey kids-- what time is it? Depending on where you are, it is
1) Swine flu season
2) Prom season (with all the prama that implies)
3) AP Exam season
4) State testing season
5) Stupid field trip to the amusement park for physics season
6) Commencement season
7) Allergy season
8) or, as a special journey around the verges of Hell, all of the above season!

So here is my special playlist for such fun-doings!

1. "Keep Your Hands to Yourself," Georgia Satellites
2." We Can Work It Out," the Beatles
3. "Ain't That a Kick in the Head," Dean Martin
4. "Over My Head," Fleetwood Mac
5. "Prom Theme," Fountains of Wayne
6. "Drive," the Cars
7. "Head Over Heels," the Go-Go's
8. "Tightrope," Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
9. "Livin' On a Prayer," Bon Jovi
10. "As Sure As I Am," Crowded House
11. "Under Pressure," David Bowie with Freddie Mercury
12. "I Can See Clearly Now," Johnny Nash
13. "Through Being Cool," DEVO
14. "Pressure Drop," the Specials
15. "If I Only Had a Brain," Ray Bolger and Judy Garland
16. "She Can't Dance," Marshall Crenshaw
17. "A Girl in Trouble (is a Temporary Thing)," Romeo Void
18. "My Best Friend's Girl," the Cars
19. "Can't Get It Out of My Head," ELO
20. "The Loco-Motion," Grand Funk Railroad
21. "Treat Me Right," Pat Benatar
22. "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes," the Platters
23. "Tempted," Squeeze
24. "I Wanna Be Sedated," the Ramones

Just keep breathing. It's the only way to get through. And sing one of these songs! LOUD!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 5/5/09, 6:20 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5/5/09, 6:21 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

Loved "Keep Your Hands to Yourself." Who could match that crudity? Big fan of Marshall Crenshaw's first album, too, where I think "She Can't Dance" came from.

 
At 5/5/09, 6:41 PM, Blogger Valerie Roberson said...

Awesome playlist!! The countdown is truly on...

 
At 5/5/09, 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, but, but, you forgot choir competition season! All while doing state testing, the damn physics field trip to the amusement park, and prepping for the AP exam.

The final straw was a principal put one of my students in ISS during the state testing. I sent an email stating that student had better be in my class for that test or I was going to show up in his office and FREAK OUT. I may have frightened him a bit.

I would add:

"Jennie Says," Cowboy Junkies (for the chorus)
"Ring of Fire," Johnny Cash

And, for those students who didn't work hard enough for the grade they are now begging for,

"Cry Me a River," Joe Cocker

Won't be long now...

 
At 5/5/09, 11:29 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

NYC- Marshall Crenshaw is an unappreciated genius, even if he WAS in "1964."

Val- let's keep telling ourselves that, and maybe we'll believe it....

LS- all great choices! And how could I forget choir season?

 
At 5/7/09, 2:39 PM, Anonymous Bryan said...

Great playlist! Best of them all is #11 lol - sums the whole thing up :P

 
At 5/8/09, 8:33 PM, Anonymous Middle School Secretary said...

You forget Stress, from Godsmak

You think your head's achin', I'm not finished yet
I won't be mistaken, how soon you forget
Take back what you said and I'll spare you pain
then you can spare me all your fuckin' lies
I can't wait to get away
I ask you twenty more times,
Don't you hear a thing?
Your testing my patience again,
Careful for your sake
Take a walk with me there, and I'll show you pain
But who said you can open up your mouth

I can't wait to get away


That, of course, is for the teachers. :)

 
At 5/10/09, 2:52 PM, Blogger Chance said...

It's flu panic season here in Dallas and assessing/parent conference season at my school.

 
At 5/10/09, 6:50 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'm all to familiar with swine flu season. They shut down my school for week due to a "suspected" case, canceled AP exams, then reopened it, the made the kids take the AP exams. It was a fiasco, and I'm sure my pass rates will be in the toilet as a result.

 
At 5/10/09, 9:46 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Ohh I feel your pain. ALL of it!

Breathe deep. That's the smell of the sulfurous verges of hell!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics