A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Silence and listening

I have not been a good blogger lately.

Part of it has to do with the fact that someone may have figured out who I am, and that made me concerned especially since the last few years I have worked for a principal who is particularly petty. I became concerned about my blogging life-- which I am very protective of, and in which I strive always to protect the names of the innocent, including myself even when I am not that innocent-- might intersect with my personal life and my professional life in unpleasant ways.

This silence has bothered me a lot. One of the great benefits of this blog have been the acquaintances I have made. There have been times when kind words from the readers of this blog have been the only positive feedback I have received that day or even that week. This is so common for so many of my colleagues, and that is a shame.

Also, this blog allows me to speak and be heard when frankly there hasn't been a lot of that available to me at work (see post below).

So I will try to overcome my concern and cautiously resume this very precious dialogue. Thanks to anyone who has still stuck around.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 6/19/11, 12:31 PM, Blogger Ms Characterized said...

Still here. Figured you had gone to ground for a good reason. Nice to have you back.

 
At 6/19/11, 1:42 PM, Blogger Ricochet said...

If you can (or want to) email me at ricochet04@gmail.com - I have a suggestion.

May you have the good luck we are having. Our icky principal is going away to be replaced by a real human being!

 
At 6/19/11, 2:03 PM, Blogger Teacher gardener said...

Still here. You'll figure it out. I don't want you to lose your voice.

 
At 6/19/11, 2:34 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Ms. Cornelius, if you EVER need to say something that you don't feel safe saying here, just email your post to me and I'll put you up at my place. One nice thing we can offer each other is another layer of anonymity.

 
At 6/19/11, 7:45 PM, Blogger Lea said...

I would be sad if your voice were silenced. Your posts are a voice of reason cutting through the BS that is public education these days. Your last post about your principal struck home for me as my principal too is horrible and rules through fear and domination. Fortunately, she is leaving this year too and will not be missed.

 
At 6/19/11, 10:19 PM, Blogger LSquared32 said...

I was delighted to find a new post from you in my blog reader--I'm glad you're back. I hope you continue to weather the educational storm--we need teachers like you!

 
At 6/20/11, 7:13 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Thanks so much, everyone for being so sweet!

We are getting a new principal too, but after this last debacle, I reserve judgment on whether this specimen is human until seeing it in action and under duress.

And thanks for the offers, Mrs. Chili and Ricochet. Right now there is also something wrong with m email I use for this account, and I plan to work on fixing it as soon as I decompress from the school year.

 
At 6/20/11, 8:00 AM, Blogger ~Tim said...

Hang in there, Ms. C!

 
At 6/20/11, 8:48 AM, Blogger MommyProf said...

I still read and learn a lot from you, fwiw.

 
At 6/20/11, 7:15 PM, Blogger Resourceress said...

Welcome back! I have missed you.

 
At 6/23/11, 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're back. I need to read that this stuff isn't just where I'm from, but everywhere. It breaks my heart, but it is everywhere.

I'm so glad you're back.

 
At 7/5/11, 8:22 AM, Blogger cbinsa said...

I too remain. Yours is a voice that I cherish even if I don't comment much. I too am suffering much the same with a similar principal. Thank you for continuing to share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics